Scientific Research Publishing was incorporated in September 2007 in the state of Delaware, USA. Publishing started in 2008 with 4 journals:
- International Journal of Communications, Network and System Sciences (IJCNS )
- Journal of Software Engineering and Applications (JSEA )
- Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering (JBiSE )
- Journal of Service Science and Management (JSSM )
Journals were added in the following years (Figure 1). The largest number of new journals added to the publishing operation was in 2011 when 107 new journals got started. In subsequent years journals where only added in smaller numbers. At the end of 2014 all scientific disciplines were covered with main scientific areas being Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Business, Life Sciences & Medicine, as well as Social Sciences.
With the number of journals also the number of articles rose steadily (Figure 2). At the end of 2014 almost 42000 articles were published. CrossRef counted on 2015-04-21 already as much as 46092 articles published by SCIRP! In 2013 more than 13000 articles were published. 2014 saw a consolidation with a slight decline to 11000 articles published in that year. SCIRP was now well established as one of the largest Open Access publishers with global outreach. Emphasis was put more than ever on quality. Quality has its costs and its price. For this reason, 2014 was also the year with a noticeable increase in Article Processing Charges (APC) for some journals. Nevertheless, APC continued to stay well below competitor’s prices. SCIRP sees its business optimization in offering the best cost effectiveness for authors and their funders, which means highest quality for the money spent.
SCIRP could not have managed its enormous growth without full dedication of its employees. With some fluctuation, employees were hired constantly causing so far roughly a linear growth of the workforce (Figure 3).
Interesting is also the high productivity as presented in Figure 4. The impressive, high productivity was achieved despite a demanding environment with …
- … staff’s low average age (many of them got employed directly after graduating from university),
- … SCIRP doing all publishing work in-house (e.g. operation of servers, graphic work, copy editing),
- … much of necessary software development done with own staff and guidance by the President, Prof. Zhou, who is full professor in the School of Computer Science at Wuhan University.
For further numbers see FAQ 1.25.